Sunday, October 30, 2011

Transcendent Man

After watching The Transcendent Man I started thinking about what life would be like with all of the new technologies that he mentioned.  The idea that robots, about the same size as our blood cells, would prevent all diseases.  Then I started wondering, "Would we share this technology with third world countries?" I had immediately gone home after class and talked to my fiance about it.  We were both a little freaked out about the fact that something that seems like it's coming right out of a sci-fi movie would be happening in eighteen years!  We'll only be thirty-nine years old!  We'll probably have started our family by then, would we be able to afford the new technology so that our kids may grow up to be healthy?  What if this technology backfired?  What if the robots malfunctioned and the disease prevention technologies released all the diseases that it was trying to prevent into our bodies.  Would we have a massive genocide because of a robot?

I feel like the more that we meddle with the idea of these thinking robots that we may become extinct ourselves.  I realize that this is a huge over paranoid statement but what if robots truly ruled the world?  Can you go one day, let alone one hour, without using a single piece of technology?  Your cell phone, your car, the electricity in your house, the tv, your iPod, all of these things have some form of technology in them.  Electricity doesn't have robots but a lot of houses have alarm systems now, so what if this technology backfired somehow?  How would you get from place to place?  How would you contact anyone to let them know that you're in danger?  Granted these are really paranoid thoughts but it is still something to consider... like where to have your stake out when the zombie apocalypses happens.

I really love technology and if it can grow and change this much to benefit the human race for all these years I still believe it will do so.  Do I think it can change that drastically in so few years?  Not quite.  Will we achieve some of the advancements?  Probably.  However I hardly believe that the human race will basically become bionic by the time my fiance and I have our children.  I don't plan on being and I really can't picture myself being robo-mom any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment